a native of West Hempstead, New York, received his semicha from Yeshivat Sha’alvim and together with his wife, Mechi, began the Yeshiva 26 years ago with a handful of students. His parents, Rabbi Meyer and Goldie Fendel, began the Hebrew Academy of Nassau County (HANC) in the early 1950’s.
Rabbi Duv Fendel is the Rosh HaYeshiva of the Hesder Yeshiva in Sderot, which has nearly 500 talmidim. The Yeshiva has another two branches- another one in Sderot, which numbers close to 200, and another in Kiryat Gat with another 150.
Rav Fendel opened a girls program four years ago in Sderot for post high school girls, which numbers over 20 girls.
The Yeshiva runs multiple community programs that significantly contribute to the morale of Sderot’s citizens, at the front lines of Israel’s war-torn western front, as well as their social-welfare, security, spiritual, and Jewish-cultural needs.